MindChamps @ Leisure Park Kallang
MindChamps @ Leisure Park Kallang is an integrated school for children. We offer various educational learning platforms for children aged 18mths to 6 years old.
Singapore’s No.1 Premium Early Childhood Education Provider
MindChamps PreSchool offers learning and enrichment programmes for children from 18 months to 6 years old, in the playgroup, nursery and kindergarten levels.
Our unique ‘S.M.I.L.E.S.’TM curriculum brings together Research & Development from the 3 distinct domains of Neuroscience, Child Psychology and Theatre, synthesised with Education. Our bilingual curriculum nurtures all aspects of your pre-schooler’s development, facilitating the transition from pre-school to primary school.
Develop The “Twin Mindset” of a Champion Reader & Writer for Life!
The MindChamps Reading Programme is developed by global early childhood literacy experts. Brian Caswell is one such expert leading the team. Brian has more than 40 years of success in the areas of education and literacy. The programmes are designed to not only greatly enhance your child’s ability to read and write, but to also instill a champion mindset for confidence and higher order thinking. Unlike other programmes, MindChamps Reading Programme does not encourage rote learning or tutoring methods. This will prepare your Champ to take on the MOE curriculum with confidence.
Prepare Your Child For The Stage Of Tomorrow!
ACA Kids, Actors Centre Australia Kids
Tomorrow’s world will require our children to be confident and creative and to possess the capability to connect meaningfully with others. Such a ‘stage’ requires preparation in more than just academic learning. Founded in 1987 by Dean Carey (and with Hugh Jackman as its Patron), Actors Centre Australia (ACA) is a world-class Performing Art Centre and in its 30th Anniversary, it is now launching ACA Kids. ACA Kids is a partnership between ACA and MindChamps.
MindChamps PreSchool (18mths to 6 years old)
Core Academic & Enrichment Programmes
MindChamps PreSchool’s unique curriculum is the result of over a decade of research and development in the 3 domains of Psychology, Neuroscience and Theatre. The curriculum nurtures all aspects of your child (18 months – 6 years) and includes world proprietary academic and enrichment programmes.
Core Academic Programmes
MindChamps Reading & Writing™ (Natural Literacy™)
Fun with Language™
Love for Chinese Language™
Creativity & Theatrical Strategies™
Music for the Mind™
The S.M.I.L.E.S Environment
The S.M.I.L.E.S. Environment is an environment of engagement and security; of nurturing and exploration. It prepares the brain for optimal growth and anticipates the future development of the 3 Minds.
The acronym S.M.I.L.E.S. stands for: Sensory, Motor (Music and Movement), Intellectual, Linguistic, Emotional and Social. It is a principle which acknowledges that brains, in their formative stages, need all aspects of mind stimulated simultaneously – and that all activities (even the most mundane) contain the potential for providing experiences that engage all of the S.M.I.L.E.S. elements.
By constantly focussing on the creation of S.M.I.L.E.S. activities (or the expansion of existing ones to encompass the S.M.I.L.E.S. philosophy), the MindChamps teacher or ‘educarer’ becomes a potent source of age-appropriate stimulation for a mind hungry for the building-blocks of intellect.
The symbol of MindChamps PreSchool is the bamboo plant, one of the most successful plants in the world, because of the ‘preparation’ it goes through underneath the ground, before the extent of its development is apparent.
A bamboo plant spreads by first extending roots and tendrils beneath the soil, giving the plant a firm hold on the essentials of water and nutrition – and an extensive physical foundation to sustain the mature plant – before the first shoots appear the surface. Once it begins to ‘shoot’ however, it does so quickly and efficiently, because all the required elements are in place. The mature bamboo plant is resistant to almost all natural threats in its environment because it is flexible and every element of its structure support every other.
The lesson of the bamboo can be applied to great effect when developing foundation programmes for young learners. MindChamps PreSchool introduces and carefully nurtures ‘foundation’ skills and strategies designed to create a cumulative effect, gradually developing competence in all key areas of development.
MindChamps PreSchool accepts local and international children between the ages of 18 months to 6 years.
- Playgroup (18 months to 2 years old)
- Nursery 1 (the year they turn 3 years old)
- Nursery 2 (the year they turn 4 years old)
- Kindergarten 1 (the year they turn 5 years old)
- Kindergarten 2 (the year they turn 6 years old)
Note: It is important to us that your child fully benefits from the programme. As such, in order for your child to qualify for admission into a particular group, your child would have to be deemed, at the time of application by a MindChamps PreSchool staff, to have attained sufficient maturity in order to benefit from the programme. Prior to admission into the programme, the parent and child will be invited to visit the centre to spend some time with a member of the staff who will orientate and explain the procedures and features of the programme.
MindChamps Reading (Enrichment for 3 to 7 years old)
Complimentary Literacy Assessment
Every literacy assessment is tailored to the child’s individual skills. That means we will assess your child thoroughly and show you and your child what can be done for immediate improvements. The assessment is done in a conducive environment – just like all our classes. Just come by with your child and we’ll take care of the rest.
- Writing Vocabulary
- Letter/Alphabetic Symbol Identification
- Hearing and Recording Sounds in Words
- Accuracy and Errors made when Reading Text
- Concepts about Books, Print, Letters and Words
- Understand and Read Most Frequently Occurring Words
Joey Programme (Beginner Level)
The Joey Programme is all about giving your child the best foundation for reading. Like a Joey in a Kangaroo’s pouch, Joeys are introduced to literacy in a cosy, safe and happy way. In every lesson, Joeys will experience the four key essentials of language development – reading, pre-writing, speaking and listening. All lessons are presented using techniques that enable children to learn in the best way – multi-sensorial activities, creativity building and fun!
Joeys will learn to listen to their teacher, read rich literature and be lead through a series of verbal comprehension questions to develop understanding and higher order thinking skills. They will also learn songs, rhymes and poems to develop strong phonemic awareness. Pre-writing activities include pattern making and preformation of letters.
Joeys are supported and nurtured as we lead them to discover the very best in educational and traditional English literature, so that their passion for reading is ignited.
Developmental Outcomes of the Joey Programme
The reading process in the Joey programme involves extensive exposure to high quality literature and modelling of reading strategies. Patterns and rhythms found in stories are introduced to the Joeys in an enjoyable and developmentally appropriate way. This lays the foundation of early literacy concepts and sets a research proven framework for future reading success.
At the end of the programme, Joeys will develop the following abilities:
- Recognise letters and sounds of the alphabet
- Develop comprehension skills through multi-sensorial experiences
- Expand their use of spoken vocabulary
- Tell and re-tell stories confidently
- Write own name and 3 & 4 letter words (guided penmanship)
- Understand the fundamental concepts about print, such as capital letters and some punctuation
Panda Programme (Intermediate Level)
Just like an excited and inquisitive Panda Cub, your child will be making new discoveries in literacy and will be keen to have lots of practice. We know that your child’s future learning success depends upon them developing the best strategies for reading and getting the right kind of practice. Every Panda Cub will be immersed in the English language by practising the 4 key essentials of language development – reading, writing, speaking and listening. Pandas will listen to a wide range of text formats, read stories by themselves, talk and write about that they have read. All of this is done with a range of activities that are fun and stimulate creativity and higher order-thinking.
Modelling correct reading behaviours is crucial at this stage. This is why MindChamps teachers give the best examples to the Panda Cubs to learn from. Rest assured that Panda Cubs will expand their written and spoken vocabulary, receive solid phonics foundations and be exposed to new types and styles of text.
Developmental Outcomes of the Panda Programme
Panda Cubs will be actively involved in discussions – an activity that involves both oral (speaking) and receptive (listening) skill sets. Their inquisitive minds will be encouraged, so that they speak confidently and share experiences with their teachers and peers.
At the end of the programme, Panda Cubs will develop the following abilities:
- Use extensive spoken vocabulary
- Write about personal experiences using correct grammar and punctuation marks
- Identify digraphs
- Appreciate and narrate stories in their own words
- Respond to questions and participate in discussion confidently
- Develop strong comprehension skills
Dolphin Programme (Advanced Level)
Dolphin Calves are ready to take reading to a whole new level. Dolphins are growing braver and are taking more risks in their literacy journey. They will discover that language can be used for many purposes and presented in countless ways.
Dolphin Calves are always ready to practise the 4 key essentials of language development – reading, writing, speaking and listening. They are encouraged to express their ideas, thoughts and feelings verbally or in the written form. They are independent readers and will learn how to verbally express a connection between themes and ideas by relating to their own experiences.
Developmental Outcomes in the Dolphin Programme
The dolphin programme focusses on the Dolphin Calves’ ability to read books confidently with active understanding.
At the end of the programme, Dolphin Calves show abilities such as:
- Read comprehension passages
- Use correct punctuation marks, grammar structures, pronouns, conjunctions and adverbial phases
- Pen down ideas, feelings and information
- Compose own stories comprising of simple sentences
- Read confidently with active understanding
Building confidence is one of the key focus areas of developing your child into a skilled reader. This involves helping your child by:
- Generating interest and desire to read – Through positive motivation, your child will develop genuine interest and excitement to read. Since practice makes perfect, the more your child reads, the more fluent he/she will become at it.
- Giving clear phonics instruction – Word sounds are taught by blending graphemes and phomemes, as part of MindChamps’ formulated Integrated Phonics approach. This enables your child to understand the meaning and context of each word, so he/she becomes more confident in expressing him/her self.
- Listening and reading comprehension – Using written and oral comprehension techniques, your child will be able to boost his/her understanding of what is being read.
- Regular feedback – An intricate feedback system is obtained for your child through literacy assessments at the beginning and end of each programme, on a weekly basis. As parents, you will be able to track how well your child is progressing and also serves as a motivational tool to encourage your child to achieve more.
- Providing support for home learning – Your child will be provided with eBooks an agile tool that enables him/her to practice reading skills at home. For parents, workshops are also conducted for you to learn the best strategies in supporting your child’s reading at home.
- Greater confidence as a reader
- More self-assured in sharing his/her opinions in front of peers and teachers
- More self-confident when speaking in front of an audience or during public speaking
- Life-long passion for reading and writing in school and life
- Improved critical thinking and analytical skills
8 Essential Literacy Skills
1. Active Understanding
Supports effective learning and interaction with words used in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
2. Narrative Intelligence & Higher Order Thinking Skills
Develops logical thinking through sequential understanding, asking the right questions and using theatrical strategies to make words come alive
3. Phonemic Awareness
Meaningful reading activities teach your child to hear and remember sounds in different contexts. He/she will also have a good sense of sound and words while writing
MindChamps unique “Say and Sing Phonics” method helps your child master connection between symbols and sounds (phonics)
To familiarize your child with natural flow and rhythm of the language through rhyme, rhythm, repetition and songs
Mastery of vocabulary is made fun and easy through stories, rhymes and alliteration
7. Structural Awareness
Your child will cultivate better understanding of how words in a sentence ‘fit together’ through sharing of conversations, songs, poems, stories and ideas verbally.
Your child will develop more love and enjoyment for reading if he/she is more actively engaged and enjoys the process of reading. This love for reading will also lead to natural progression in love for writing
ACA Kids (Enrichment for 3 to 6 years old)
For Children 3 – 4 Years old
Our focus for children at the beginning is to make learning like play. Children will be engaged and encouraged to participate in activities to express themselves. Our trainers will take children on a journey of adventure to help ignite their imagination, explore their thoughts and then expressing them through various theatrical forms like acting and poetry to boost confidence and develop self-awareness and realise their own strength. During the session, children are encouraged to express feelings to give sentiments and ideas.
Your child will
- Gain and develop confidence through various theatrical forms and other activities
- Increase focus and develop self-awareness
- Develop collaboration and creativity
- Develop gross motor skills through drama, songs and games
- Learn to use imagination and express them
Term: 10 lessons per term (10 weeks)
Duration: 60mins per lesson
Programme Investment: $380 (subjected to 7% GST)
For Children 5 to 6 Years Old
Our children will be immersed in fun themes through theatre. They will learn how to communicate better through games, are encouraged to express themselves and be introduced to role play. Our trainers will take children towards the capabilities of being able to present in front of an audience. The process will help ignite their imagination, explore their thoughts and then expressing them through various theatrical forms like acting and poetry to boost confidence and develop self-awareness and realising their own strength.
Your child will
- Gain and develop confidence through various theatrical forms and other activities
- Have the ability to present in front of an audience and increase higher order thinking
- Improve in social and oral communication skills
- Understand the importance of collaboration and creativity
- Learn to use imagination and re-tell them
Term: 10 lessons per term (10 weeks)
Duration: 90mins per lesson
Programme Investment: $570 (subjected to 7% GST)
Confidence is one of life’s absolute necessities. When kids are confident, they develop 100% respect for themselves and all those around them. This create a solid and productive foundation for interacting confidently with the world.
As the world reinvents itself, our children have to be ready to do the same – and reinvention requires a high level of creativity. We harness your child’s creativity through engaging activities, exploration and building confident self-expression.
The latest psychological research shows that training in theatre enhances EQ by increasing empathy, social emotional control and the ability to connect meaningfully with others. This means that at ACA Kids, we can draw upon the unique power of theatre to build a whole person, by nurturing the child’s inner emotional development.
Discover a New Theatre Experience for Your Child
Parents, ever wondered what goes on during a kids theatre programme? Come join us for a day of acting and role-playing, and experience first-hand what your child will learn in the new programme! Learn how to express yourself and develop self-awareness through the art of theatre. During the 2-hour session, you will also be taught how to express feelings and to give sentiments to ideas or roles. Not only that, you will also gain confidence and master the best way to present yourself to an audience.
In the workshop, you will:
- Learn to express yourself and connect with your audience confidently
- Understand how theatre can help develop self-awareness and self-esteem
- Give sentiments to ideas expressively
- Develop critical thinking and creativity skills
Date: 9 Dec 2017
Time: 10am – 11.30am
Venue: MindChamps HQ, Toa Payoh HDB Hub East Wing, Level 17
Registration: $38 per couple
This workshop is strictly for parents only.
Tickets are redeemable for kids (3-6 years old) trial class in Jan 2018 after you have attended the workshop. Expose your kids theatre play and unlock their potential!
Mr Dean Carey, Legendary Australian Theatre Teacher Joins MindChamps as Dean of Theatre
Mr Dean Carey is appointed as MindChamps’ Dean of Theatre. He is one of Australia’s foremost theatre educators. Mr Carey has taught many of Australia’s greatest actors and is the founder of the renowned Actors Centre Australia (ACA), which he founded 30 years ago. ACA has trained many Hollywood superstars, one of whom is Hugh Jackman, who is also the Patron of ACA.
“I’m thrilled ACA is expanding and opening our youth wing. To nurture and encourage young creative minds and spirits is such a gift.”
– Hugh Jackman, ACA Patron and Graduate